Choosing the best women's lacrosse stick is all about knowing your level of play, position on the field and personal comfort. This guide will help women’s lacrosse players at all levels pick their poison.
If you’re a beginner, some things to look for:
- A head with minimal pinch to make catching easier.
- A basic ramp such as the Precision Complete, the Illusion Complete, or the TXP pocket. All examples come from different brands but something simple is your best bet.
- Beginners will typically start out with an alloy aluminum handle that’s durable and simple.
- Starter packs are an economical choice for beginners who also need equipment.
- It’s a good idea to keep it simple, buy a complete stick, find out what you like and then remember your preference for purchases you may make down the road.
- Specific suggestions for complete sticks: STX Level Complete Stick, Under Armour Blitz Complete Stick, Under Armour Desire Complete Stick, Brine Allure Complete Stick, Maverik Twist Complete Stick, or the STX Nova Complete Stick.
- Beginner sticks will usually be around $50 or $60.
- Expect to spend $50-$110 for your stick. Price is of a wider range because once you’re out of the beginner stage, it’s all about preference.
- If you’re new to the game but starting at an older age, an intermediate stick is recommended.
- At this level, players tend to switch to a composite shaft and mix and match heads and shafts.
- If you’re still interested in a complete stick the Brine A1 Complete Stick, STX Crux 300 Complete Stick, deBeer NV3 Complete Stick, and the Maverik Wondergirl Complete Stick all make good choices. The heads on each of these sticks would also pair well with any composite shaft.
- Complete women's lacrosse sticks tend to be a better deal as far as price is concerned.
- Sticks cost anywhere from $100+
- These sticks have a tight pinch, the minimum legal sidewall, an extreme scoop angle and pack a lot of power.
- Advanced sticks are durable and lightweight.
- These sticks often have more custom ramps such as the Swivel Pocket Pro, Runway Pocket, Launch Pocket, or the deBeer Gripper Pro.
- Complete sticks often offer the best deals, try the Brine Dynasty Elite Complete Stick, Maverik Erupt Complete Stick, Nike Lunar Elite Complete Stick, STX Crux 500 Complete Stick, STX Exult 500 Complete Stick. Any of these heads individually make great choices and again, pair well with any composite shaft.
- The Crux 500 and Exult 500 are both 10 degree heads that pair with any 10 degree shaft. The 10 degree technology offers a quicker release and better ball feel.
- The Under Armour Regime head, and the Brine Mantra 3 are also good choices and are purchased as heads only.
Each manufacturer has options for any level and this information is just a snippet of some of the most popular ones. The best way to find your favorite stick is to try them out in stores or borrow a friend's! As long as you are happy with the equipment you're using and it's legal, that's all that really matters!