Players with good stick skills earn playing time, help win games and make dependable teammates. Wall ball is a simple way to practice stick work just about anywhere with access to a brick wall or a bounceback. New and returning players can all benefit from practicing stick skills and there is no right or wrong way to do it. For anyone looking to get into a habit or switch up a current habit, here is sample wall ball routine:
Start off by standing 8-10 feet from a wall or bounceback. Try and aim for a small square on your target close to stick level. Spend about two minutes on each different strategy, longer on the ones that need extra work.
- Right hand- Regular throws, not sidearm, just your go to pass. Try to only cradle once between throws.
- Left hand- Same thing just left handed.
- Throw right catch left- Start like you’re throwing with your right hand but switch the stick to your left when the ball is in the air so you’re catching it on the opposite side.
- Throw left catch right- Same thing you just did but start by throwing on the left side, then switch and catch right.
- Weak side throw right- Hold the stick as if you were throwing right handed but throw from the left shoulder instead.
- Weak side throw left- Hold the stick as if you were throwing left and throw off your right shoulder instead.
- Right hand quick- Stand closer to the wall now, 3-4 feet. Throw and catch right handed but don’t cradle after the catch and focus on quick reps.
- Left hand quick- Same thing as the previous, just use your left hand on your left side.
- Right hand tomahawk or private school- I’ve heard it called different things, either way, throw right handed releasing the pass from the top of your head. Keep the stick right in front of your forehead not off to either side of your body.
- Left hand tomahawk- Hold the stick in your left hand and release the pass from the top of your head, in the middle of your body.
Play wall ball as often as you’d like and go through these exercises for specific help. Practice really does make perfect!